Cabgolin is a medication that stops lactation. It is a synthetic ergot alkaloid which has a prolonged and pronounced dose-dependent prolactin-lowering effect. It is used to treat a hormone imbalance in which there is too much prolactin in the blood (also called hyperprolactinemia)
Indication for use
Cabgolin can be taken by almost all women for:
• suppressing physiological (postpartum) lactation;
• for the treatment of prolactin-secreting pituitary adenoma (micro-, macroprolactinoma);
• for the treatment of idiopathic hyperprolactinemia;
• for the treatment of "empty" Turkish saddle syndrome;
• for the treatment of other hyperprolactinemic conditions (amenorrhea, anovulation, oligomenorrhea, galactorrhea);
Cabgolin is not recommended to use if you have an intolerance of drug components; in fibrous diseases of the lungs, pericardium, retroperitoneal space in the anamnesis; at liver failure, toxemia of pregnant women; with the simultaneous use of antipsychotic drugs.
Contraindicated for long-term treatment:
- at defeat of valves of heart (exclude by means of an echocardiogram before the beginning of therapy);
- uncontrolled or postpartum hypertension;
- at preeclampsia, eclampsia;
- history of psychosis or risk of postpartum psychosis.
Dose and usage
Cabgolin is released in form of 0,25mg and 0,5mg white, round, small tablets.
Cabgolin is used inside with meal. The standard dosage for the suppression of postpartum lactation is 1 mg once during the first 24 hours after childbirth. 0.25 mg every 12 hours for two days is recommended for suppression of existing lactation (total dose is 1 mg).
The standard dosage for the treatment of hyperprolactinemic conditions is 0.5 mg 1 time / week or 0.25 mg twice a week. If necessary, the dose can be gradually increased (under the supervision of a doctor) - by 0.5 mg / week at monthly intervals until therapeutic effect is obtained. The maximum dose is 3 mg / day.
Side effects can appear within the first 2 weeks and pass on their own. These are: dizziness, vertigo, headache, fatigue, drowsiness, depression, asthenia, paraesthesia, fainting, nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, abdominal pain, constipation, gastritis, dyspepsia, mastodynia, nasal bleeding, alopecia, mania, dyspnoea, edema, pleural fibrosis, pleural effusion, skin rash.